Is medication necessary to manage Crohns disease?
Like is chorines dangerous, or is it just inconvenience. her dr. is older, and he wants to start her on Pendasa. not generic. Do you recommend a second opinion in XXXXXXX , we live in Kennewick Wa.
Thank you for asking
I read your question and i understand your concern. if the doctor has confirmed crohn's disease the i am afraid your daughter will need more than probiotics and digestive enzymes, as it is an inflammatory bowel disease so it will need immunosuppressive and antiinflammatory medications. Pentasa is one of them. There are many other options like rovasa, delzicol, asacol, imuran, purinethol, remicade, humira, cimzia etc.
Apart from that, antidiarrheal, iron, folates, vitamin B 12 and calcium vitamin D supplementation is mandatory. Meanwhile, limiting dairy intake, eating small frequent meals, limiting fiber if it bothers,avoiding other spicy foods, alcohol, coffee etc and drinking plenty of fluids etc is necessary for bowel habits.
Talk to a dietitian and a gastroenterologist and let them devise a complete management plan.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and her and don't forget to close the discussion please.
Lifelong, no cure, only management
Thank you for getting back to me
if it is crohn's disease i am afraid there is no cure, only management like 90 % of all the diseases, she will have to be on lifelong medications with of course dose readjustments and regular follow ups. Not taking any medication will worsen the life and daily living and yes it may decrease lifespan if compliance and treatment is denied. But thanks to modern inadvertent therapies , odds of that are less likely.
talk to your doctor and let them decide what is best for her.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Folliculitis chest crohns disease
- Oxyelite pro and crohns disease
- Drugs/medication for Crohns disease
- Drugs/medication for crohn’s disease
- Pepto bismol for crohn's disease
- Slendertone crohns disease
- Psychedelic mushrooms with crohn's disease
- Psilocybin mushrooms crohn's disease
- Vyvanse crohns disease
- Crohns disease missed period
- Inflamed gums, bleeding. Was on prednisone. Had herpes. Is this a sign...
- Upper eyelid skin graft done to lengthen eyelid was not successful. Can...
- Diagnosed with stiff person syndrome and having muscle spasms. Taking ...
- Have hep c, HIV with anemia, fluid retention in legs, rash on palms and...
- Having trouble sleeping due to worry. Done with nuclear stress test and...
- Have Polymyalgia rheumatica. Having pain and feeling uncomfortable. What...
- Suffering from severe anxiety and pain in abdomen. Could It be...
- What is the best cream for haemorrhoids?
- Feels like room is spinning and have dizziness. Could I ask a doctor?
- Experiencing pain in ear and getting headache around left ear. What...