question-icon

Is medication necessary for elevated blood glucose levels when diagnosed with an infection?

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018
Question: I am a prediabetic. My daily numbers have been 115 and below for along time. Then I got an infection and a series of test etc. My numbers started going to 120+ up into the 130 range. I am not on medication. I saw my Dr. and she was pleased with my "control". She said if I could keep my numbers below 140 I would be fine and was doing wonderful. Do you think I need medication at this point. I can keep my numbers I the low 120 usualllyt with a sprinkling of 130. Is this ok? XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (33 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
About Diabetes treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
You should know that to judge better about Diabetes control , HbA1c is of help.
It gives more details about the blood glucose levels of the last three months ( not only fasting but postprandial too). If it is under 7%, there is no need for treatment.
Of course an infection is considered a ''stressful '' situation and the blood glucose raises , but it is not problematic when it is only for some days.
If fasting glucose persists over 125 dl or HbA1c is over 7% , I would recommend to start treatment.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist