Is lower right abdominal swelling a sign of groin hernia?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi!
I just noticed a bulge on my son's right side while peeing. No pain or discomfort. He had vomitting 2 weeks back and a mild diarrhoea too. The stools today are soft, mucousy and has undigested food in it. Showed the bulge to a paed and he said that it's inguinal hernia that needs to be operated.what if it's an intestinal swelling only and no hernia? Am not convinced. How to confirm the same?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely an inguinal hernia

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing this platfirm

I can understand your concern.

Intestinal swelling can be easily differentiated from inguinal hernia by clinical examination and it can be confirmed by Ultrasound.

The site you have mentioned is the likely site of inguinal hernia. Intestinal swelling, if not associated with any other defect, is difficult to visualize and it's not well localized as hernia.

Most of the inguinal hernia gets reduced by pressing and you may get an impulse if baby coughs. As diagnosis of inguinal hernia can be easily done by clinical examination I assume that your doctor is right.

If you have any doubt please get it confirmed by an ultrasound test.

Please let me know if you have any more doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee