Is lower leg pain an indication of possible blood clot?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I had a pain when walking in my lower leg and then og suddenly went away. Does that sound symptomatic of a blood clot?
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Veins and Arteries

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Where was this pain located? Was it calf pain or ankle pain?
Veins thrombosis symptoms are different depending if its deep or superficial veins thrombosis.
Superficial veins thrombosis gives usually hardness and localized pain in the vein area. Pain while walking is less probable.
Deep veins thrombosis usually gives swelling, pain and hardness of the calf, the leg gets warmer than the other one. Pain is more intensive while walking.
Deep veins thrombosis pain usually does not disappear suddenly. Its impossible.
That is why I do not think that your pain was caused by blood clot.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Is lower leg pain an indication of possible blood clot? 7 minutes later
the pain was in my left leg, on the front outer left side about halfway between my foot and knee. When I was walking it felt like my leg might snap in half - like there was a weak spot there. I can still feel the pain very very mildly.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
This sounds more like a stretched muscle. However superficial veins thrombosis is also possible. As it is almost gone, no need to do anything with it. If it will appear again, than consult your doctor.

Follow-up: Is lower leg pain an indication of possible blood clot? 5 minutes later
the diminished pain isn't symptomatic of the clot ha ing traveled or anything? thanks!

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
No, it does not sound like a blood clot for sure. Not anything you should be worried about.

Follow-up: Is lower leg pain an indication of possible blood clot? 1 minute later
thank you.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome.