Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Is low cholesterol levels in blood a cause for concern?

Answered by
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 1305 Questions

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi, i have done a blood test recently and found that I have low vitamin B12, folic acid and cholestrol. Is low cholestrol a problem? Can you please suggest me if I need to seek medical help?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the Advises..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

It's not low cholesterol which is the problem but it's certainly low metabolism and under-active body mass which may be the problem in this regard..

Well I've reviewed all of your reports and let me inform you that most of your reports are within normal range but the lipid profile but some other metabolic parameters(i.e. BUN, serum calcium etc.) are suggestive of an under-active metabolic status, so first of all please let me know your body weight and height..

Any other/associated problems apart from this ?

Yes, there's an element of Vit-B 12 as well as Vit D3 and Folic acid Deficiency for which you'll be requiring supplementation treatment for which I'd suggest you to schedule an appointment with an Internal Medicine Specialist / Endocrinologist (whoever is easily accessible) who'll decide the duration and dosage of supplementation(based on the clinical examination findings and severity of symptoms)..

Don't worry, it's not too serious as of now but you need medical attention..

Let me know if your having any further query, i'll be glad to clarify..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Arnab Banerjee 14 hours later
Hi. I am 5.5 ft and 73 kgs.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
follow as already advised along with the following advises..

Detailed Answer:
Welcome Back XXXXXXX
Thanks for following up,

Sorry for the delay in my response due to work schedule,

Well your BMI is around 26.8 which is actually little bit in the overweight category, which means you need to start working out (if not started already) , start with 20-30 min of free hand exercises at home and 30 min jogging in the's easily reversible with healthy life style (balanced diet, avoiding junk/processed foods, healthy 8 hour of sleep per day, working out etc.) so don't worry..

Secondly, there can be an underlying element of depression/ anxiety/ stress which is responsible for causing those undervalued reporting, so a thorough clinical evaluation is necessary to determine that..

Thirdly, even deficiency of Vit-B 12 as well as Vit D3 can cause those undervalues, so my advice will be to schedule an appointment with an Internal Medicine Specialist / Endocrinologist (whoever is easily accessible for you) who'll decide the duration and dosage of supplementation (based on the clinical examination findings and severity of symptoms)..

It's nothing serious yet, but you should get evaluated without any delay and start on the supplementation right away to avoid any future complications..

Along with the supplementation, you need to get sunlight exposure daily for 15-20 min (in between 8-10 am) so that your body starts synthesizing Vit-D naturally (remember it's not sufficient to compensate for Vit-D3 deficiency alone, so you need to do it along with supplementation therapy only)..

Let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care of yourself dear..

Kind Regards

For future reference you can always get in touch with me, below is my direct follow-up link through which you can contact me anytime anywhere, I'll be happy to help -

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Vitamin b12

doctor1 MD

hi i am sandep jain .. i am suffering vitamin b12 suggested me vitcofol injection twice a day but it was occured sensitive..he...

doctor1 MD

hello doctor my father is aged 70. He suffers from peripheral neuropathy for the past 5 years. He has mild diabetes. He has taken many medications...

doctor1 MD

Hi i am writting on behalf of my 83year ols mother, for months she has complaines of funny heads (no headaches) she has a vitamin b12 defficientcy...

doctor1 MD


doctor1 MD

getting pain in some parts of chest in random time any type of injections for D3 and B12 and dose for same as per reports

doctor1 MD

I am a 65 year old female. In the past two months I've been experiencing progressive numbness and tingling in my left hand. Initially, the numbness...

doctor1 MD

I need help interpreting an EMG and NCS report. 1 Sensory nerve conduction studies of the bilateral sural nerves revealed no responses. 2 Motor...