Is loss of appetite a sign of stomach cancer?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Sir
I had mild stomac prob 7 days back and on fear i lost my appetite later i have a habit of google and i completly lost fealing hungry.phyctricaly i felt will it b stomac cancer so i lost my appetite and of i have my food i have 30% what i have reg and feel frestated on seeing food. I browse a lot on stomac cancer and loss of appetite and develop and corelate my self. How to come out of it.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is option of counseling as well as medications

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I feel there is fear of cancer and there is no cancer.

Points against presence of stomach cancer in your case are as follows
1. Your age- Most of the cases present after 60 years of age
2. Duration- People have duration of years before symptoms become evident
3. Symptoms- patients with stomach cancer present with dull aching pain with profound loss of weight and appetite. I understand there is appetite loss but it is related to stress and not to cancer.
4. Family history- As per my knowledge there is no positive family history

Considering the above factors the fear associated with stomach cancer can be called as hypochondriasis which is a psychiatric disorder.

I will recommend following things for this.
1. Stress management
2. Having adequate amount of sleep
3. Engaging yourself in one or another activity- Do not leave yourself idle
4. Deep breathing exercises
5. Meditation and yoga
6. Stop searching the internet and ask a professional whenever you are in doubt - This is because internet is full of wrong information and unlikely to help you.

7. See a psychiatrist for counseling and medication if the above measures do not help you. There are both options in form of counseling and medication for hypochondriasis.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Sir
Thanks for your reply. My age is 40. Will stress completely brake the appetite. Do u say at age of stomac cancer is rare. I dont smoke. But gastic prob frequently and nov veg and sleep after food. No exercise. Fear bcs my uncle ie distance relative at age 50+
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am yet to see person with stomach cancer at age of 40

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

As I communicated earlier stomach cancer below 50 years extremely rare. from the practical point of view in my 15 years of practice I am yet to meet a person with stomach cancer at age of 40.

Absence of smoking and non veg food again minimizes the risk of stomach cancer. In addition the genetic factors contribute little and I do not think it can be stomach cancer for you at age of 40.

Having said this it won't be wrong to undergo upper GI endoscopy as it can reveal the cause of chronic stomach upset and suggest appropriate treatment.

I hope this helps you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for my future patients.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 39 minutes later
Realy thanks for reply. Understand your points. My relative was diognesed at age of 53 and no more at age of 55. He is a chain smoker. I took ct abdomen on fear of cancer in abdomen in 2014 april and was normal. Sep 2014 again same prob was there ie loss of appetite and came out of it after 2 months without any diogness. Will stress create total loss of appetite. Pls help me .
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes stress can cause loss of appetite

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Stress itself can cause myriad of symptoms across the various systems of our body including gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, respiratory and nervous system. In other words stress can cause almost any symptom in our body and loss of appetite is not a exception.

I hope this clarifies further.
Thanks and regards.