Is loperamide good for diarrhea?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: 2 days ago, I had abdominal pain that started in the lower left side and moved across to the upper right side (under my ribs). I also had chills and severe body ache with the pain. No fever! Now I am experiencing acute, chronic (24 hrs) diarrhea (sp). Still no fever, but the body aches have gone away. Abdominal pain comes and goes, moving back and forth across my entire body. Appetite is normal, just hate to eat when I know it is coming back out as fluids.
I recently was diagnosed with reflux and take Prilosec daily.
Can I take immodium to stop the diarrhea?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Yes, immodium can be taken. Have it after diarrhea but don't sake more than 4 capsules per day. 8 addition you should take probiotics. It is not good to avoid food since malnutrition and dehydration may occur. Just have easier food such as rice, boiled potatoes, soups, organic vegetables. Drink plenty of fluids, especially tea and pure water. Avoid carbonated drinks, sweets, and fried food. Also, don't take immodium along with prilosec, have 2 hours between it. I suppose this is infectious enterocolitis, but you may have associated gallbladder stones or gastritis. This is self-limiting and should improve within few days. However, if fever recur or pain becomes localized in pelvic area or it worsens then it should be further evaluated since diverticulitis may be present in this case. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T