Is liver damage a risk factor with heavy alcohol drinking?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Been drinking heavily for a few years. (Divorce, prop settlement) Had some real messy times. Had a five day bender 4 days ago. Feeling a lot better, don't look yellow, Slight pain in upper abdomen and feeling slightly nauseous. Dr Googled my self senseless. Extremely worried. Never drinking again. What is the possibility of real liver damage?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At this time, not really!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these messy time and al the heavy consumption of alcohol. Alcohol damages the liver when it is drank in heavy quantities over a long time. If you haven’t talked this for a long duration, then chances are low that you could actually have damaged the liver. Beside, there are n symptoms to suggest a possible liver damage. Symptoms of nausea and slight pain are typical of hangover and not liver damage. At this time, you have made the best decision of the best health of your liver which is never to drink alcohol again. That’s what matters most and that’s what will ensure that your liver stays healthy. However, I Will recommend an evaluation 3months from last bender to see how the liver numbers are.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.