Is lichen sclerosis an autoimmune disease?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 29 Nov 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Follow up for Dr. Kakkar S.: You said that LS is a self limiting condition and that it may take several attempts to see if the condition has ceased or worn out. Could you explain what you mean. Also, my dermatologist has increased the potency of my steroid cream after officially diagnosing it is LS.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
LSeA

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

Genital LSeA may present as whitish atrophic patches on skin or mucosal surfaces and as LSeA evolves it may manifest as genital itching, erosions, discomfort/ pain during sex and narrowing of prepucial/ urethral opening leading to phimosis, difficulty in urination, improper hygiene and secondary yeast infections etc.
The natural course of LSeA may vary from person to person and before it dies down it may present as just a few asymptomatic atrophic patches which never progress or as symptomatic progressive disease requiring circumcision (for phimosis). The goal of treatment is to not allow it to progress till the time it wears out on its own. Thats what topical steroids are for!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
You say it may require circumcision, but I am already circumcised. Have been ever since I was a baby. Isn't it always a threat to recur? Do I have to take these steroids for the rest of my life? Aren't they harmful when used over such a long period of time?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
LSeA has remitting relapsing course

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

LSeA can have a remitting relapsing course with periods of activity and remission. Ultimately it stops progressing
Topical steroid cream would help keep it in remission till the activity burns out on its own. You may self examine at intervals and of course your doctor would try to take you off treatment after a period of treatment to see if its active or not.
Moderately potent topical steroids are safer and can be used long term if required. Your doctor can give you a period of drug holiday to minimize the side effects of topical steroids, if any.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Thank you for your reply. Will try to keep you updated. Hopefully, the steroids will help stop the progression.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us