• question-icon

Is less breast milk intake by an infant a cause for concern?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: my girl child 4month old not having milk while awake but have while sleeping any issues
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the details, As of now I don't find any problem

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

I have read the query and do understand your concern.
I would like to know what milk you are giving to the baby.Please give me the detail like if she is on bottle feed or breast feed, on exclusive breast feed or on mixed/formula feed. Also tell me the birth weight and present weight of the baby.
I won't get worried if baby is gaining weight adequately, passing urine normally and there are no other significant problems during day or night time.
Sometimes baby cries more during night time if feed is not given frequently as during day time.

Please get back with the details so that I better able to help you out.
Thanks and regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 30 minutes later
she is exclusive on breast feed birth weight 3kg and now 5.680 kg pass urine normal no cry during night
Brief Answer:
I won't get worried as weight gain is very good

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I won't get overly worried as the weight gain is very good(it's almost double of birth weight in 4 months) and there is no other significant abnormality.
Passing urine frequently(4-6 times per day) indicates that milk production and feeding is adequate. In case of poor feeding baby cries even after feed and passes urine less frequently which is not in your case.
So I would suggest you to continue exclusive breast feed till 6 months of age and not to worry much.

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 50 minutes later
is this is due to acid reflux as I went through some online cases
Brief Answer:
I don't think she has regurgitation problem

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Its not exactly acid reflux like in adults. In babies the valve/sphincter of food pipe is not fully developed and that may cause reflux/regurgitation of milk into upper part. In this condition baby has symptoms like poor weight gain, vomiting, cough and poor feeding etc. This poor feeding does not depends on day or night time and vomiting is more common in lying dying condition(as gravity eliminated).
So I don't think regurgitation or reflux is a problem in your baby.
I shall be glad to help if you need any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology