• question-icon

Is lapse of consciousness possible due to Coumadin?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: If a blood thinner stops working, can that make an artery block up faster, causing a heart attack?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello:

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that it can happen sometimes that antibodies against a blood thinner are created after a long time of use.

Anyway, I would like to know the type of blood thinner that you are taking in order to give a more professional opinion.

Let me know about everything!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Coumadin is the blood thinner, after taking coumadin, about 20-30 minutes later. With mo warning just pass right out, was oerfectly fine before thst
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information!

I understand your concern and would explain that your complaints do not seem to be related to coumadin adverse effects.

The fainting is not a known adverse effect of coumadin.

From the other hand fainting is not indicative of a heart attack or a stroke.

But, it can be related to low blood pressure, a cardiac arrhythmia or an allergic reaction related to coumadin.

Did they measure your blood pressure and heart rate during that episode?

Did you have any other symptoms besides fainting?

From the other hand it may also be a coincidence the fact that you took coumadin and then fainted.

For this reason, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring
- blood electrolytes
- fasting glucose.

A close monitoring of your blood pressure is also necessary to exclude possible low blood pressure.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 hours later
Do the chambers of the heart house the arteries?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

No, the arteries that supply the blood to the heart, begin in the aortic valve.

They do not lie inside the heart chambers, but they travel outside the heart, attached to its outer layer.

But the blood clots that are formed in the heart chambers (thrombus) can travel in the aorta and then throughout the body, in any possible organ (brain, gut, liver, bones, limbs, etc.) thus leading to ischemia.

It is really less likely for those emboli (blood clots) to get into the coronary arteries, as they are too small. Warfarin and Coumadin are the preferred drugs to prevent these blood clot from forming and traveling.

But the coronary artery can get closed from local atherosclerosis, leading to heart attacks. In such case aspirin is the preferred blood thinner (anti-platelet agent) to protect these arteries from closing.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist