Is laparoscopic myomectomy advisable when having intramural fibroid in uterine cavity?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: 43 years old female, underwent cesarean delivery in 2006 with bilateral tubal ligation. now presenting with menorrhagia and dysmenorrhea. USG confirms 3.4 x 3.1 intramural fibroid encraoching uterine cavity. my question is will laparoscopic myomectomy or sub-total thyroidectomy should be the surgical treatment for her as conservative/medical management has not worked for her.
thanking in anticipation.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is the treatment for her.

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am,

Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I can understand your concern here.
Yes, you are right as her symptoms are not relieved by conservative and medical management laproscopic myomectomy and sub total hysterectomy is treatment of choice for her.
Fibroid usually get shrink after menopause.
In her case as you said I think you have tried many conservative methods and they all failed than you are thinking a option for surgery.
In my opinion hysterectomy is best treatment for her( as she completed her family).
Hope it is useful, feel free to ask more questions.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN