Is lack of erection during sleep a cause for concern?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I never wake up with an erection. I heard that the penis maintains itself by getting erections throughout the night, but I don't seem to get these erections? I also don't get random erections throughout the day. I am able to achieve erections through intercourse though.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there is nothing to worry about...

Detailed Answer:

although nocturnal erections are believed to help, this is not well documented. Besides that you can't know if you have erections during your sleep. Men have 3-5 erections during the night each one lasting for about half a minute without any memory of it (unless they wake up of course). There is a test for nocturnal erections which records the penis perimeter (and detects erections) but this is used to document normal function, that is the man's ability to have a normal erection because some men cannot have erections for psychological reasons.

Since you're able to have erections and normal intercourse you don't have anything to worry about!

Kind Regards!