Ask a Dentist   »  

Is lab work and dental cleaning safe without Tetanus booster vaccination?

Dentist
Question
good morning,

The last tetanus booster I received was 12 years ago. Is it still safe to have lab work and dental cleanings?? Sounds silly, I know, but I cannot get the vaccine anymore.
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No vaccination is required for scaling & lab work

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

Its good to get vaccinated & tetanus vaccine lasts for 10 years. But there is no such direct relation between any dental procedures & vaccination.Once you get any blood contact with metal you should go for vaccination within 24 hrs.
Its good to get vaccination prophylactically.
No need to take tension.

Hope I answered your query

Wishing you good health

Dr. Neha Sumra

Follow-up: Is lab work and dental cleaning safe without Tetanus booster vaccination? 15 minutes later
I am sorry but your reply confused me a little. You said no vaccine required but then you said once any blood contact with metal, get vaccine within 24 hrs...Do you mean dirty metal since dental tools and needles are metal??

Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rusted metal or wound contaminated with saliva

Detailed Answer:
Sorry for confusion.
I wanted to say if metal is rusted or contaminated with saliva then go for immediate vaccination with in 24 hrs after exposure.
Always go for fresh needles & autoclaved instruments to prevent any cross infection.
Hope i cleared your doubt

Dr. Neha Sumra