Is kidney stone hereditary problem?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Question: My father has severe kidney stone problem and have been operated thrice. My brother also have got minor stones in kidney. How much chances are there that this is a heiredatory problem and I may also be affected?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 37 minutes later

Thanks for your query. Based on the fact that you have posted it seems that you have family history of Urolithiasis / Urinary Stones). So the chances of you getting urinary stones cannot be ruled out as hereditary plays important role in stone disease. However you can prevent getting stones by observing following measures:
1) Drink at least 6-7 litres of water in 24 hours so that you pass 2 litres of Urine in 24 hours.
2) Avoid or minimise eating certain foodstuff like milk products,
3) Avoid vegetables XXXXXXX in oxalate like spinach, cabbage, tomato, etc.
4) Restrict eating non vegetarian foods.
5) Avoid excess calcium by consuming minimum milk
6) Maintain proper personal hygiene and practice safe sex to minimize risks of getting UTI). UTI is a primary factor in formation of stones
7) Get your Routine Urine test done at regular intervals

In case of you get infected, consult some Urologist at the earliest for evaluation and treatment.

Hope this answers your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad