Is jelly like discharge with traces of blood normal after partial hysterectomy?

Dr. Haseena Hamdani

Posted on Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in General Health
Question: I had a partial hysterectomy Sept 11th of this year. I just noticed a jelly like discharge with some blood. Is this normal??
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 2 hours later
Brief Answer: See the detail answer Detailed Answer: hi, Welcome to Health Care Magic, There could be several causes for this type of discharge. It could be a post operative delayed complications, where some suture getting delayed absorbed, with the reactionary discharge and comes out. It is three months time after your absorption. Usually women restrict their activities immediately in post opeartive period, and after two-three months start usual activities, so collected discharge may come out as jelly like blood discharge. As you had partial hysterectomy, it is also possible that it could be ovulatory discharge, as you still fall in peri-menopausal age group. It could also be due to stimulation of cervical and other glands due to sexual activities. It could also be infective discharge from the stump of cervix, or Vagina. You may observe for few days, and if it persists, increases in Quantity, or if you get any other associated symptoms like Itching, bad smell, Urine infection, pain in vagina, or lower abdomen, fever etc, you should see your surgeon. It also depends the indication of your partial Hysterectomy. You still need to do screening for Cervical cancer as a routine as with other women. Hope you got your answer. You are welcome for any further query. Wish you best health. Dr H Hamdani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T