Owl Image

Is itchy skin with reddish pimples a side effect of Prednisolone?

Owl Image
Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Question
i take prednisolone for about 18 month 5mg per day.i have now a very itchy skin,with very small reedish
pimples .could this be a side effect?? Is there a remedy for this problem?This itsh is getting worse allover
myskin.Could you please advise me what canbe done.Regards Alfred drechsel.
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible side effects of prednisolone!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this rash that you have reported. Prednisolone can cause petecchiae and ecchymoses on the skin. This calls for careful evaluation and appropriate management. The rash you have described is suggestive of this side effect.

I will suggest that you get evaluated by your treating doctor and managed accordingly. For now, stopping abruptly can be dangerous because of withdrawal effects. The best course of action is to see your doctor as soon as possible for appropriate management depending on examination findings.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services this day. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.