Is itching throughout the body in the absence of any skin disease normal?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Sep 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: doctor, these days I have observed that I feel that something keeps moving all over my body. I feel like a small ant or something as small as a small ant keeps moving on my head, face, back but I have checked it so many times, nothing will be there.
when i feel like that on my face, it slightly itches on forehead, cheeks etc.
sometimes on my back or head, itching sensation will be more when this happens sometimes. what could be the reason for this? will there be something that moves in real or if yes, what could be it?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use a soothing moisturizer and an oral antihistamine

Detailed Answer:
hello. thank you for writing to us.

I am Dr. Kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Iching in the absence of any skin lesions could be because of xerosis i.e skin dryness which is usually generalized. Kindly get a test for thyroid function - T3, T4 and TSH.
I suggest you to use a moisturizer e.g either Venusia soft lotion Or Ritch creamy lotion. Both of these products are soothing as well as moisturizing.
In addition I also suggest an oral antihistamine e.g tab. teczine 10mg once daily. Hopefully these would be effective in relieving your symptoms.
Sometimes, sensation of something crawling on skin can be a symptom of underlying psychiatric illness (delusional parasitosis) but that need to be considered only if the above medications prove ineffective.

take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj