Is itching sensation all over body a symptom of HIV infection?

Posted on Tue, 21 Apr 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: is all over body itching with no rash a symptom of early hiv infection? Stepped on a needle, worried.
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are Non specific.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query .I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
Welcome to health care magic.
I have gone through the query.

Itching is not specific to HIV. It can be due to dryness or allergic or infection or infestation.HIV is diagnosed by tests not by non specific symptoms.
Just stepping on needle does not make any person HIV prone.

HIV does not survive in the environment for long.The needle may be non infected too.
The duration since needle prick is not clear.
If you are still anxious you can go for HIV tests.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Dermatologist and venerologist

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 6 minutes later
duration about two weeks. not even 100% sure it was a needle since it felt like it was something sticking out of a piece of wood, but something sharp went through my shoe and into my foot. when i checked later, i couldn't really see a mark, so i think it must have been a syringe. then the itching, which has calmed down after taking zyrtec for a while. i just read something saying that sometimes when people are first infected they get severe itching due to the immune response, i think.
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not due to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thank you for follow up query.
The possibility of HIV transmission through the mode described is rare.HIV does not survive in the environment long.The real needle causing it is not known.There is no prick mark or bleeding wound.
There is no possibility of HIV transmission.
Do not worry forget the episode .

The itching may be due to some allergy or irritation. Zyrtec should be fine.Such symptoms are not due to HIV and do not manifest early in HIV too. So allay fears of HIV.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist