Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Is it safeto give enterogermina to a one year old to stop loose motions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 1194 Questions
My son is suffering from loose motion. Can I give enterogermina to him. He is one year old.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Entrogermina & ORS to be considered. Detailed Answer: Hi Dear, Welcome to the XXXXXXX Enterogermina always helps, can be given without much side effects. Take care of the dehydration taking place by giving plenty of liquids like oral rehydration solution, dal rice water, sugar salt water,tea,soups etc at the ratio of about 100 to 150 ml per loose motion. Avoid syrupy, sugary fluids like juices , glucose water etc. Child continues to pass watery stools till the whole infection (viral or bacterial) is expelled out of the body. But if the child is having fever, pain in abdomen, or passing mucoid motion or if stool is blood mixed then one should think of some bacterial infection like dysentry. Stool investigation like routine examination and its culture to be done to know any bug involved. And accordingly be treated with some relavant antibiotic. Please take care of the hygiene. Hope the query is answered. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is it safeto give enterogermina to a one year old to stop loose motions? 22 minutes later
Need to confirm about one more medicine FUROXONE (Furazolidone Oral Suspension). Is it safe to give to one year old. Thanks much for the help.
Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes,IF SURE OF SOME BACT INFECTION Detailed Answer: Hi This is an antibiotic.Frequently used for the children. Can be given if one is suspecting some bacterial infection,either it is confirmed by the stool culture or by the symptoms like foul smelling stools, stomachache before passing stool, excessive gases, fever etc. Hope the query is answered. Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor