Is it safe to wear artificial hair on scalp?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Healthy Living
Question: hello doctor. i have a question that might sound stupid but is bothering me for a while. I wear a hair system on my head and attach it with glue. i have been doing this for 2-3 years and am conncered that the glue might enter my brain from the blood stream and do some damage. Can you throw some light on this?

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not possible for glue to enter brain

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
I would like to reassure you that there is no communication between the glue and blood or brain. In the head apart from the hair there is skin and layers of tissues below which there is the skull and coverings of the brain.

The blood supply to the brain in directly from the heart through branches of internal carotid artery and vertebral artery.

It is not possible for glue to enter blood system of your brain through the hair.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 28 hours later
Thanks for the response doctor. However, i am curious if some glue that i put on my head melts and enters the scalp. Where would it go from there? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It gets washed away

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

I understand your query. The glue which melts is most likely attached to the hair and removed easily by first applying shampoo and then combing out the glue slowly. It will not melt and penetrate the scalp.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 39 minutes later
Thanks doctor. However there is no hair in the area where I apply glue. It is applied directly on my scalp as I am bald in that area. Would it melt and penetrate the scalp?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please use dermatologically approved glue

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

I recommend that you use dermatologically tested glue which is approved for human use. Glue removal solutions are also made and they must also be checked for approval of use. These will never melt and penetrate your scalp skin.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 2 days later
Thanks for the reply doc. How would i know if the glue is dermatalogically tested? If the company says is is tested, should i just go on their word? Also, if i sweat and the glue melts will it stay on the scalp on penetrate inside? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please double check package insert

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

With FDA regulations in place I guess you can take their word. Please go through any package insert that came along with the glue. The glue is limited to the surface regions of the scalp and unlikely to penetrate the layers of skin and fat.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek