Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

140 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is it safe to use polysporin on the inside of vaginal lips?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12783 Questions
Hi there, I am wondering if it is safe to use polysporin on the inside of my vaginal lips?
My boyfriend and I had sex last night, and although it wasnt rough, when we were finished, my vaginal lips felt a burning sensation (like when you feel your cheeks blush.. Only down below). It subsided and when we started fooling around a second time, I was unable to get dry on my own, so we kept having to add saliva so it wasn't too uncomfortable. Afterwards, my inner lips were swollen and it burned to pee. I slept with an ice wrapped in a cloth between my legs, and today there is almost no swelling. It still burns to pee though. After a warm bath, I took a mirror to see what I could see, and it looked like I had an infected area on both inner lips like you would see when you scrape your first few layers of skin off and it creates a yellowish film over the area (not a scab). I gently removed the layering with a damp qtip so I could see the area better and it looks like I am rubbed raw (see photos). I want to know if it is safe to put polysporin on this area or if you have any suggestions to provide relief... I will be going into a walk in std clinic tomorrow just in case and to check things out, but any help you can give me tonight would be very much appreciated. Thanks - XXXXXXX
Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 49 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub which occurred after intercourse which you had prior to these symptoms.
I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for any cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, you can apply a local antiseptic cream on the area like neosporin or polysporin for relief.
It is also helpful to:
* Avoid overexertion, heat, and excessive sweating.
* Avoid scratching, which will only aggravate the problem.
* Delay sexual activity until your symptoms get better, or use a lubricant during intercourse.
* Use condoms to avoid catching or spreading sexually transmitted diseases.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN