Is it safe to use otrivin for bleeding nose?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I just started to get major nosebleeds and will be seeing an ENT Dr. but until then is it ok to soak Otrivin on a gauze pad and put up my nose? They did this in the ER to help stop the bleeding. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Otrivin makes blood vessels constrict and can be helpful with nose bleeding. So the answer is yes, you can do that. But putting nose up you need to watch to not aspirate the blood to the respiratory tract. And this is only temporary. If you find this is not helping, you should go to ER.

Hope this will help.
Regards.