Is it safe to use Fucidin H cream for redness on foreskin?

Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy

Diabetologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Diabetes
Question: Hi, I have a very red foreskin. I'm a type 1 diabetic. I have fucidin H cream - is this cream ok to use on my foreskin?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not really

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thanks for writing to hcm. Noted the contents. Well the cream you are using has the antibacterial fuscidic acid and the steroid hydrocortisone. A red foreskin in itself is not an indication to use this medication especially because it has a steroid in it. How is your sugar control presently? Do you have associated whitish secretion also in which case an antifungal is indicated. Apart from the redness you mentioned is there anything else that is troubling you like itching or burning sensation or pain. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 13 minutes later
Blood sugars are a little above average and I'm a little stressed lately. Yes there is some white secretion.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Jeyapathy 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its likely to be a fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi again. Well, clinically it sounds like a fungal infection very commonly seen in patients with diabetes especially when the blood glucose levels are slightly uncontrolled. Don't worry. Just work on ways to decrease your stress. Monitor your glucose multiple times during the day and adjust your insulin doses accordingly. Plz do a hba1c and try to take it to less than 7%. As for now please stop using the cream and use cotrimazole ointment twice or thrice a day after washing the area with mild soap and water and later with salt water or saline. Dry the area and apply the ointment. Use it for two wks in total. It will settle down. Take care. Warm regards. I would appreciate your feedback to the query if you are satisfied with the reply.