Is it safe to use Cefoprax or Azithral for cough and throat infection accompanied with fever to my 3 year old son?

Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Question: Most paediatricians refer to either Cefoprax/doxcef or Azithral for a cough/throat infection accompanied with fever to my son who is 3 yr old now. which is a safer drug to use and why?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Safer antibiotic agent Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same . Now as far as using an antibiotic in a young child for cough and cold is concerned, azithromycin is a much safer option for various reasons. Firstly it is a milder antibiotic with a short course. It has to be given in just once a day dose in most cases. Then it has a good cover for throat infections and covers most of the infective agents. Next , most importantly , in terms of its safety profile , it is a very safe antibiotic and is very less likely to cause any kind of reactions especially in children. Hope it helps Dr Geetika Paul