Is it safe to try for pregnancy when diagnosed with endometrioma?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: hi. i am 34 year old, married for 9 months now, a working woman. i had a surgery (laproscopy followed by laprotomy) on 8th XXXXXXX 2016 when diagnosed with haemaperetonium, for removal of a 6 cm subserosal fibroid. I was some 5 weeks pregnant also with my Beta HCG levels 289 on 3rd XXXXXXX and 795 on 6th XXXXXXX I started bleeding after surgery and BCHG dropped to 41, took Cytolog 400 for 5 days. My regular periods started later which were very painful with big clots. after some days of the first period post-surgery, i had severe shooting pain in lower back and left side of pelvic area. USG, TVS and MRI revealed left ovarian small heamorragic cyst. measuring 22x16.3mm and left ovarian tiny endometrioma measuring 12x10mm. I am taking ovral-G from the 5th day of my second period on 15th Aug which too was painful. I am very worried for my fertility and want to concieve even though my doctor says i have to wait for some more months. i also fear the endometrioma should not spread. Kindly advise.( Past history: I used to have heavy and painful periods in the past, and had iron deficiency anaemia but USG tests would always come normal. Only once in 2005 i had a 31 mm ovarian cyst which was cured by medicines).
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Health Care.Magic Forum. Thanks for trusting is with your health query.I have gone through your query and understand your concerns completely.
Your fertility is no way compromised because of all this but the only concern is endometrioma which can definitely grow in size slightly in coming months of absteinence but since the size is already less, it will not increase enormously in 3 months which is the maximum absteinence required by you.
So relax as this endometrioma may even vanish after pregnancy.
You can contact me any time as I have a lot research in endometriosis so can guide you well.
Dr Manisha Jain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 1 hour later
Dear Doc, Thanks for replying. How long should the abstinence from pregnancy be for me at the moment, you mention 3 months but is it 3 months from my surgery date or from now? when should i try to concieve? And also is the drug Ovral G the best option for me? How long should i take it? Do i need to take any more medicine? Do i have to take care of any particular lifestyle change? And when should i go for my USG again, and is another MRI required? One doctor had advised me for a CA 125, and ART should also be given before the endometriosis increases. What do you advice?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
See detailed description

Detailed Answer:
Absteinence is required from the date of surgery.
No need of MRI or CA 125 as of now.
In lifestyle you need to have an active lifestyle with diet and gym to keep proper weight according to your height.
Ovral G is good and take it for 3 months at least and no need of any other medicine till then. After 3 months ART should be taken as early as possible so as to have pregnancy before much of damage by endometriosis and it will decrease the magnitude of endometriosis as well