question-icon

Is it safe to treat swollen painful thumb with Neosporin?

Posted on Tue, 24 Feb 2015
Question: My thumb has a red, slightly swollen and warm area just to the bottom of the nail where the skin meets the nail and is very sensitive to touch... can I treat with neosporin or something else over the counter?
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul (16 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Nail fold infection , take treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
You seem to have developed paronychia which is basically a nail fold infection .
You need to keep the affected area clean and dry .
Apply a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin over the affected area twice daily .
You might a course of oral antibiotics if the pain and swelling tends to persist or increase.
Take some oral painkillers like ibuprofen or paracetamol to reduce the inflammation and pain .

Hope it helps

Dr Geetika Paul
Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist