Is it safe to treat burning mouth syndrome with Famciclovir?

Posted on Mon, 6 Jul 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello... I have a burning in my mouth that started last month around May 18th. I went to my Dr. who prescribed a medication for oral yeast infection. The burning eased but never went away. I get ulcers in my mouth sometimes but do not have any now. There is a place in the top of my mouth that feels like one maybe forming but has not formed an ulcer yet. I keep a prescription of Famciclovir of 500 mg tablets for cold sores and the dosage is 3 pills at once for systems and if an outbreak occurs to take one twice a day for 5 days. My question is could my BMS be treated with my Famciclovir? How much should I take to treat Hsv-1 virus in my mouth and for how long should I take it? I'm a female whos weight is 140 lbs.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Answered each question in detail, Needs clinical correlation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

i read your question and i understand your concern. Basically your question has three sub questions . 1)Recurrent Oral ulcers. 2) COld sores and famciclovir prescription and 3) Burning Mouth Syndrome. Let me discuss them with you one by one.

1) Recurrent aphthous ulcers also called canker sores are mostly due to yeast infections also called oral candidiasis and their response to antifungals made it more likely fungal in origin. A supplementation of good oral hygiene and plenty of fluids will keep the sores recurrence to minimum. Rinsing mouth with salt water or baking soda ( 1 teaspoon in half warm cup) , dabbing the sore area with milk of magnesia , applying ice to the sores and brushing the teeth gently are some of the options you can do to help canker sores and their pain . Avoid abrasive, acidic or spicy foods.

2)Cold sores are mostly self resolving and it completes its lifecycle with in 10 days so not even famciclovir use and still these shall subside in 10 days time frame. Antivirals though help prompting the recovery and help preventing the recurrence. The way you are prescribed is the right way. 3 tablets stat and if recurrence then for 5 days thats it.

3)BMS is an idiopathic entity and diagnosis of exclusion after all the possibilities are ruled out. Sometimes doctors rush towards labeling a patient with it when actually a little more effort can sort out the cause for this burning mouth syndrome.

Duration severity and time of symptoms onset and their persistence categorize them to BMS type 1, 2 and 3.

Likely possibilities of BMS in old age are nutritional deficiencies like B supplements, Zinc, iron and folates. Oral ulcers itself trigger BMS so can be correlated with canker sores and treating one may fix other. Anxiety, dehydration, acid reflux and some immune disorders common in women and old age like sjogren syndrome etc may be the cause. Usually vitamin supplements, anxiolytics , antidepressants, topical capsaicin , hormone replacement therapy etc are some of the options to treat burning mouth syndrome.

The last question of possibility of BMS be treated with Famciclovir depends upon whether cold sore is the etiology or not. If it is the only one then treating one will treat other too but odds of cold sores being the only cause here are unlikely.

I hope it helps . Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan