Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Is it safe to take zincovit to improve motility? Is there any alternate remedy?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5955 Questions
My husband's motility is 40%. I am planning to give him zincovit. Will this be helpful? what are the other remedies available to improve motility
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Semen analysis is not considered normal or abnormal based on just one parameter, Sperm motility , and count is one aspect of it. I would be able to help better if you attach the entire report, so that I can assist and guide you in a better way. However , going by whatever information you have currently supplied :

Sperm Count:
Though it only takes one sperm to fertilize an egg, a normal sperm sample should contain 20 million sperm per milliliter (mL) or more per ejaculation. Below this count, the condition is called oligospermia. Hence, your husband is having oligospermia, and this compromises the fertility.

Sperm motility identifies how well the sperm move. For conception to occur, sperm must be able to swim through cervical mucus, across the uterus and out into the fallopian tubes to reach the egg. If motility drops below 50 percent, potential problems may exist. This is called hypoasthenospermia, and exists in your case. This might lower the fertility potential of

Before starting any medication , I would recommend a visit to a Urologist/ XXXXXXX at the earliest. Causes of decreased sperm cunt and motiliy vary right from genetic causes, infections, hormonal deficiencies, smoking/drug ingestion, age related changes, physical blockages, varicoceles, or erectile/ejaculatory problems. Other reasons are : Infections, High fever, Usage of illegal drugs, Alcohol consumption, Congenital testicular abnormalities, Varicocele – Enlargement of veins within the scrotum. Toxin exposure , Cigarette smoke , organic solvents etc.
A thorough physical checkup and appropriate further testing is necessary to establish the cause.

Also, sometimes, only in certain conditions, fertility enhancing medication and antioxidants might improve your semen count and motility. It is essential to know the cause of the problem, before starting any treatmetn. Also, a repeat semen analysis after 3 - 4 weeks is recommended, in order to establish that the report is abnormal.

Looking at the current situation, the chances for natural conception are low, though not impossible, because both normal sperm count and motility are essential for pregnancy. If you and your husband are trying to conceive unsuccessfully for more than a year, and if the Urologist detects some abnormality which would not respond to medication, I would suggest going in for ART ( assisted reproductive technologies ). This includes both IUI ( intra uterine insemination ) and IVF ( in vitro fertilization ). However, in your case, you can definitely try for IUI first, as it is less invasive and less costly. However, at sperm counts less than 10 million / ml, IUI also has decreased success rates.

For this, engage the services of a reputed Infertility Practitioner, who would evaluate you thoroughly , before going in for one or two cycles of IUI , which if failed, you should undergo IVF. It is important to have basic tests of the female also done, including tubal patency and ovulation studies, as well as hormonal evaluation.

Please go for a karyotype ( chromosomal evaluation ) also, as certain latent chromosomal disorders cause abnormal semen analysis reports, and these can be passed on to your offspring in case conception occurs.

Meanwhile, avoid tight clothing/exposure to radiation/ working in hot environments for prolonged periods.
Avoid smoking/alcohol/tobacco consumption in any form/drugs/ exposure to organic solvents or radiation.
Maintain an ideal body weight, and exercise regularly.
Many nutritional supplements can be recommended by your doctor, including Zincovit, L carnitine, and other antioxidants after examining your husband, for a treatable cause of your problem.

Please take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor