Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

Is it safe to take xanax and leexapro for chronic anxiety?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
Can i ask you a medical question? I've been diagnosed with cronic anxiety by a neurologist, and the doctor gives me XANAX 0.25 mg (1/2 tablet  once a day) And lexapro (5 mg once a day).  Do you think it's safe to take them? Because i'm still 17 years old. The description says the medicine should not be used in the treatment of adolescents under the age of 18 years.  Thank you.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Can be used with caution Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX The truth is that those medications can be used in children and adolescent but with close monitoring for any side effects (with the most dreaded being suicidal tendency and depression). Your doctor will have to do routine physical exams and EKGs to make sure that your psychological state and cardiovascular remain in tact. Your doctor should be able to treat you using the below plan or combination of therapies: - Cognitive behavioral therapy for your child - Medication - Family therapy - Parent education and support The role of your parents and guardians in your treatment is essential. Families play a critical role, helping to reinforce needed coping skills in the moment when their your anxiety is highest. So saying, your treatment will not only be medications but combination of two or more of the above. It is true that xanax and lexapro has description that the medication should not be used on adolescents and children but it is not completely contraindicated but I do think how ever that your neurologist started a little with strong anxiolytics and antidepressants and should have started with other medications with few side effects and that are usually well tolerated by adolescents. I also recommend that you see a psychiatrist as your treatment require a professional who can handle psychosocial disorders better. Hope this helps and wish you the best Dr. Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor