Is it safe to take hormone pills at the age of 70?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: is it safe to take hormone pills at the age of 70 ?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Additional information needed.

Detailed Answer:

Please explain your medical history in further detail so I may be able to give a more accurate answer.

You state that you are a 70 year old male. If that is correct, please explain why you think you need hormone therapy and whether you have seen a doctor about your current health problems.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 19 hours later
Need hormone pills to make prostate smaller I cannot pee because i dident take hormone 's I am transexual [sex change] no penis but prostate giving me problem.
when younger taking hormone pills makes the prostate smaller. dont know about now-- One doctor says it might cause blood clot. I dont know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hormone therapy is always risky.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again and I apologize for the delay in answering. This seems to be a very delicate and complex case and out of the area of my speciality and in order to give you a fully informed answer I would need to know your complete medical history. However hormone therapy is always associated with a long list of side effect, the most serious of all being blood clots, heart attacks and strokes, bone thinning leading to bone fractures and diabetes.

I advise you to opt out of taking estradiol and to take a second opinion from an XXXXXXX to consider other options such as surgery for a more permanent solution to the problem.

I hope this helps you towards the right course of treatment.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Dr. Ornela Ademovi, General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj