Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

188 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is it safe to take hormone pills at the age of 70?

Answered by
Dr. Ornela Ademovi

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 645 Questions

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in General Health
Question: is it safe to take hormone pills at the age of 70 ?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Additional information needed.

Detailed Answer:


Please explain your medical history in further detail so I may be able to give a more accurate answer.

You state that you are a 70 year old male. If that is correct, please explain why you think you need hormone therapy and whether you have seen a doctor about your current health problems.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 19 hours later
Need hormone pills to make prostate smaller I cannot pee because i dident take hormone 's I am transexual [sex change] no penis but prostate giving me problem.
when younger taking hormone pills makes the prostate smaller. dont know about now-- One doctor says it might cause blood clot. I dont know what to do.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hormone therapy is always risky.

Detailed Answer:

Hello again and I apologize for the delay in answering. This seems to be a very delicate and complex case and out of the area of my speciality and in order to give you a fully informed answer I would need to know your complete medical history. However hormone therapy is always associated with a long list of side effect, the most serious of all being blood clots, heart attacks and strokes, bone thinning leading to bone fractures and diabetes.

I advise you to opt out of taking estradiol and to take a second opinion from an XXXXXXX to consider other options such as surgery for a more permanent solution to the problem.

I hope this helps you towards the right course of treatment.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Dr. Ornela Ademovi, General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on