Is it safe to take doxycycline inspite of having elevated liver enzymes?
Depends on level of enzyme
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Generally doxycycline don't have major side effect on liver cells. But it depends on the value of the enzymes .
If they are too much raised then metabolism of doxycycline may be hampered and it may cause minor side effects like diarrhoea, rash, fever etc. So It is safe to take with raised AST & ALT.
Hope I have answered your query . If any further query are there I would love to help .
My AST is 60
My ALT is 36
During the early 1980's, I had Chronic Active Hepatitis B. It has been in-active now for several years. This is the major reson for my initial question.
With this background information, is there any reason to be concerned about taking Doxycycline Monohydrate [100 mg Capsule]?
Doxycycline 100mg for few days is unlikely to cause any problem to your liver cells .
So you can safely take it. Also your ast and alt are not too much raised to hamper doxycycline metabolism.
Hope I have been helpful. If you have further questions I would love to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Elevated liver enzyme menstruation
- Elevated liver enzymes constipation
- Elevated liver enzymes indigestion
- Can taking robitusin cause elevated liver enzymes
- Sodium and elevated liver enzymes
- Elevated liver enzymes rash
- Elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin
- Hypocalcemia and elevated liver enzymes
- Elevated liver enzymes and dehydration
- Elevated liver enzymes 65