Is it safe to take Vyvanse along with OxyElite pro?

Dr. Ravi Soni

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 20 Mar 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I'm taking a low dose of Vyvanse (20mg). I also have the old original formula of OxyElite pro (the one NOT linked to liver/kidney problems) Can I use these two together? I'm not doing INTENSE exercise, but moving throughout the day and spending time studying.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Soni 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not safe to use

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing through HCM.

I have read your query and understood your concerns.

I have gone through all the details about oxyelite pro tablets. I came to conclusion that it will add to the side effects of vyvanse and can make more problems.

Oxyelite pro is linked to many side effects affecting heart and liver. Whatever the type of tablet is like new or old formula, it is always associated with side effects so don't use it without consultation to your doctor. I shall not use this combination in my patient.

If you want to use drugs for losing weight then there are many other safe options available.
Ask your doctor for details of other drugs.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further query then I shall be happy to help.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ravi Soni 56 minutes later
Is it possible to alternate the days that I use these medications?

Could I separate the dosage; Vyvanse in the morning with ONE capsule of OxyElite later in the day?

Or are you saying I should completely avoid OEP altogether?

Could you specify the side effects you're referencing?
Answered by Dr. Ravi Soni 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not advisable to you

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing again.

I do not find the product monograph but one of the online site has mentioned about the warning before taking it. Oxyelite pro should not be used with drugs that are used as a stimulant like amphetamines and other antidepressants. Oxyelite pro contains high dose of caffeine, which acts as a stimulant and other 5 components which act on thyroid hormone and fat metabolism.

Following is the link to important information about oxyelite pro which is a public health guide. I insist you should read it.
http://www.newhealthguide.org/Oxyelite-Pro-Side-Effects.html

Another important point about your drugs is that you should not take L-DOPA at night because it interferes with sleep and causes insomnia and nullifies the effects of other drugs you are taking. L-DOPA should be avoided after 5 PM.

Hope I have answered your query. if you do not have any further query then close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Ravi Soni 3 hours later
The last query I have is in regards to asking my primary physician what medication I should ask about for a reduction in body fat.

The reasons I was looking into OxyElite pro is because I am competing in a physical fitness competition and I'm looking for something to assist beyond my body's natural metabolism to metabolize some of the remaining fat.

Also the reasons I looked at vyvanse's studies on binge eating disorder, focus, and appetite control.

My diet is specifically tailored, but I am still trying to find an assisting supplement or medication that would help aid me in my endeavors.

Are there specifics drugs or supplements I should be able to ask my physician about or you could list?
Answered by Dr. Ravi Soni 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drugs are not effective for short term

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing again.

If you want to use the drugs for short duration like 1 month then you can use any of the drugs available after consultation to your GP.

The combination of vyvanse and oxyelite pro is more dangerous, so I would avoid that in my patients.

Other drugs that can be used for weight loss are topiramate and metformin. Topiramate can be used in a dosage of 50 to 100 mg and metformin which is primarily used in diabetes can be used in low dosage of 250 mg. I hereby suggest you to go for consultation to GP and ask for help. Ask him the options and also tell these one, I have suggested.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have further query then close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta