Is it safe to take Viagra with Isosorbide?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Can I take Viagara with Isosorbide--if not is there a med that can replace Isorsorbide so I can take Viagara. I am a 69 year old male--cardiac bypass 10 years ago
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viagra should not be taken along with Isosorbide

Detailed Answer:
Hi!
Thanks for posting your query on HCM.
I appreciate your concern for the safety of Viagra when taken along with Isosorbide.
Both the mentioned drugs are known to decrease the blood pressure when used alone.
Taken together both Isosorbide and Viagra increase the risk of potentially life-threatening hypotension (severe fall in BP).

Therefore, Viagra should not be prescribed to patients receiving any form of Nitrate groups of drugs like Isosorbide in fact it is CONTRAINDICATED.

Keeping in view the fact that you already had undergone cardiac bypass 10 yrs ago, the following drugs can be replacement for Isosorbide like Ranolazine
Nicorandil or Beta-blockers.

I would advice you to consult your treating doctor for their possible replacement in place of Isosorbide.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you a very good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali