Is it safe to take Viagra post quadruple bypass surgery?

Posted on Tue, 8 Sep 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Had quadruple bypass 22 months ago. Is viagra safe to use.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 39 hours later
Brief Answer:
Viagra is safe as long as you avoid some drug interactions

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would like to explain that your bypass procedure does not impose any contraindications to Viagra use.

So Viagra is safe in your situation.

The only issue to take into consideration is to avoid concomitant use of Viagra and nitrates, because of potential dangerous adverse effects of this combination, leading to a vascular collapse.

From the other side antihypertensive drugs like calcium channel blockers, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, etc. can result in adverse effects like hypotension when combined with Viagra.

So I recommend consulting with your attending physician, if you are taking the above drugs, to consider making some changes to your antihypertensive therapy (to lower the doses) and avoid concomitant use of nitrates and Viagra.

Hope to have been helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions whenever you need!

Best wishes,
Dr.Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist