Is it safe to take RhoGAM during pregnancy?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,
Im 25.5 weeks pregnant. Am rh negative. Had first rhogam shot at 6weeks when in er for threatened miscarriage (turned out to be subchorionic hematoma). Bled quite a bit for next month. Had secong rhogam shot at 10 weeks after vanishing twin detected. Twin was absorbed into my body at around 15 weeks. Had third rhogam shot yesterday (my idea not doctors) since i read they expire after 12 weeks and i have some spotting. Now im really concerned because im reading that they should have tested my levels to see if i needed more rhogam during bleeding from sch and especially from absorbed twin. Theyve not tested. Could my baby be sensitized? Shoukd i demand trsting for senditization and monitoring for fetal anemia? Im frightened that because they didnt measure to make sure i got enough rhogam that this baby and future pregnancies could be at risk.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Any risk to the baby is not likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Usually till 12 weeks a fixed dose of Rhogam is given that takes care of all the minor bleeds. This small dose is more than sufficient to the formation of any antibodies inside the body. Individual testing of levels is not needed.
Still you can request for an indirect coomb's test to be very sure regarding the safety of your baby and future pregnancies.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Do you think the absorbed vanishing twin could have caused more than a minor exposure though? Twin died at around 9 weeks but was not absorbed until 14ish weeks
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It was not likely to be more than a minor exposure.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Any pregnancy less than 12 weeks gestation causes only a small amount of blood of the fetus to come in contact with maternal blood. It can be considered as a minor exposure.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN