question-icon

Is it safe to take Providac post radiation treatment?

Posted on Mon, 15 Sep 2014
Question: Is it safe to take one cap a day of Providac for 2months or more post radiation treatment as it gives me comfort please ?? Had lipoma surgery successfully (retroperitonial well differentiated low grade sarcoma) followed by RT for safety purpose. Otherwise, all normal. This was given when I had diarrhea/vomiting during radiation treatment which helped me to great extent.
Reason : I feel comfortable as now my irregular bowel movement is well controlled.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha (50 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Providac

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

I have gone through the literature of Providac, it states that there are no serious side effects from the drug if the patient is not allergic to it.
Providac is given for a prolonged period of time ( upto 6 weeks) in patients who are suffering from small bowel bacterial over growth. The only side effect I have seen in these patients are that they feel bloated. Most of them do well

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist