Owl Image

Is it safe to take Minoz 500 mg while trying to conceive?

Owl Image
Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Question
Hi Doc,
I have been prescribed Minoz 500 mg for Acne, however i also planing for a baby,so should i go ahead with Medicine?
Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) This contains a drug called minocycline.

2) This drug should not be used if you are trying for pregnancy.

3) Or else postpone pregnancy plans if if you wish to take treatment first for acne.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Is it safe to take Minoz 500 mg while trying to conceive? 3 hours later
Skin doctor suggestd that can have Minoz 50 mg till the time I concieve, before that can have it... pls suggest? or do we have some other medicine for acne which cn be taken during baby plan

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
don't take

Detailed Answer:
Hi

If you conceive while on this medicine it leads to abnormalities in baby probably. Hence dont take it.

There are not many safe drugs for acne. It is preferable to conceive first as the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy are likely to have effects on acne.