Is it safe to take Methylprednisolone for shoulder pain?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Yes, thank you! My husband has suffered with major shoulder pain (in the muscles not joints) Can he take the anti-inflammatory MethylPREDNIsolone Tablets, USP 4 mg. with the following drugs he is already taking?:
Aspirin 80 mg; Clonazepam 0.5 mg; Pravastatin 40 mg; Pantoprazole 40 mg; and Carvedilol 6.25 mg .

We live in a very remote area and cannot get to doctors or hospitals very quickly or easily. He has 3 stents, REMS disease, and Barretts Disease. He is 72-has always been very active and still loves to play golf but the shoulder pain is so frustrating. We are currently shopping for a new cardiologist/internal medicine specialist in XXXXXXX but meanwhile, is it safe to take this anti-inflammatory drug with what he is already on? Please advise--it would be much appreciated!! We are educated but not about these drugs.

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
There are no major drug interactions with methylprednisolone and his other medications. It should be taken with food to protect his stomach. Both aspirin and steroids like methylprednisolone can contribute to ulcers but the pantoprazole he is taking should protect him from that side effect. Steroids may also raise the blood pressure so this should be monitored and reported to his doctor if his blood pressure gets high while on the methylprednisolone.
Just understand that steroids are best used for short term treatments and there are many serious side effects from taking them long-term.
I hope he is feeling better soon,
Dr. Robinson

Dr. Kathy Robinson