Is it safe to take L arginine, L carnitine, taurine, fish oil along with carvedilol and lisinopril?

Dr. Aslam Lalani

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Is it safe to take L arginine, L carnitine, coq10, taurine, fish oil , with carvedilol and lisinopril? As heart health supplements / adjunt therapy ?
Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 13 hours later

It is my pleasure to answer you.

In congestive heart failure there are few medicine which are recommended by ACC /AHA and those medicine has proven its effectiveness in many clinical trials as well as in clinical practice - and it should be taken by all heart failure patient if they tolerate medicine and do not develop side effect of medicine.
Accordingly Carvedilol and lisinopril are indicated as first line and should be taken - both above medicines has proven its beneficial effect on long term mortality and morbidity benefit in patient of heart failure.

Medicine like L arginine, L carnitine, coq10, taurine, fish oil are supplementary medicine and in large clinical trials till now has not proven its beneficial effect; so these are not included in first line list of medicine. However these medicine are mainly supplement and does not have much side effect; so, many doctor are prescribing to patient. You may take them and they do not have much interaction with carvedilol / lisinopril - they can be taken together.

Apart from medicine also adopt healthy life style; adopt healthy diet habit; restrict fluid intake; restrict salt intake; stay away from any type of addiction and take proper rest and sleep.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further queries feel free to ask me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Aslam Lalani 5 hours later
Is it safe to take a quarter treaspoon of cayenne pepper with a quarter teaspoon of garlic while on cardevilol and lisinopril?
Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 5 hours later
Hello sir ,
Cayenne pepper has some property to improve blood flow to heart , and garlic has property to control cholesterol level ,
If you can tolerate it, you can take it. But I would still like to reinforce that all are supplement and till now not have clinically proven role but carvedilol and lisinopril have clinically proven roles in improving heart pumping function and survival ,
Cayenne pepper has property to produce heat and it may cause acidity problem. Garlic can cause mouth odor and gas formation. Otherwise, there is no interaction with the medications that you are taking.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
take care

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Aslam Lalani 46 hours later
Is d-ribose safe for heart failure patients?
Answered by Dr. Aslam Lalani 1 hour later

D Ribose is also one type of sugar only and it is a nutritional supplement. Till now no nutritional supplement has shown any proven role in heart failure. But there is no harm, if you take in limited quantity.
But most important is to take your heart failure medicine. Rest of the vitamins and other supplements are optional.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan