Is it safe to take Gelusil when pregnant?

Question
I am almost 21 weeks pregnant. Suffering from severe heart burn, acidity and gas for last two days. Is it safe to take gelusil during pregnancy. What other medicines can I take?
Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gelusil is safe for you.

Detailed Answer:
It is very likely that you have a moderate case of gastritis which is caused by excessive acid secretion and irritation of the lining of the stomach. You can try the following medications to reduce your symptoms as follows.
1. Antacids (Gelusil, Digene) can be taken to relieve the acidity. These are safe in pregnancy.
2. Proton pump inhibitors such as pantop can be continued for few weeks if needed. You can get these prescribed from your gynecologist.
3. Activated charcoal will reduce the bloating sensation.
Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms.
If you smoke, stop smoking.
Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals.
Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. A minimum of 2-3 hours should be lapsed after a meal.
Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.
Go easy on the sugar. Biscuits, chocolates, cakes, pastries and sweet drinks will only give you a short burst of energy. You may feel hungry again soon after eating them.
Limit your intake of caffeinated drinks. They may perk you up for a while but too much caffeine could dehydrate you. The amount of caffeine recommended during pregnancy is no more than 200mg a day. Instead have nutritious drinks such as "homemade" lemonade , aam XXXXXXX buttermilk or fresh orange juice.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal