Is it safe to take Fluconazole for yeast infection while on Cipralex?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: Is it ok to take one dose of fluconazole for a yeast infection while on 20 mg of cipralex?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Major interaction between the two

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, i have gone through your question and understand your concerns. Cipralex is escitalopram which is known to have major interaction with fluconazole. Fluconazole slows down the metabolism of escitalopram and increases its levels in the body.
Using escitalopram together with fluconazole can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting).
If you are taking it for vaginal fungal infection, then you can replace it with vaginal pessaries containing clotrimazole.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma