Is it safe to take Eltroxin during pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife was suffering from thyroid and she is pregnant of 3 months. She was suggested to take Eltroxine from 45 days and was taken.Reports are attached that are taken today. Previously she was having around 12 as TSH. Now it is in the limit i.e. 2.5. Do you suggest again us to meet Endochrinologist?
She used to take 45 minutes before the breakfast. Now she has to take the eltroxine before breakfast will be ok? i.e. She doesn't need to wait to have breakfast after taking eltroxine? Or she doesn't need to take the eltroxine?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She should meet her endocrinologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir,

Thanks for trusting us about your wife health care.
I can understand your concern here.
Congratulations on her pregnancy!
I have gone through her history because there is no report attached with the query.
First and foremost important thing about hypothyroidism is that she should take the medicine lifelong and the drug is quite safe during pregnancy also.
During pregnancy because the demand of thyroid hormone increases and it is very important hormone for foetal neurological and brain development so she should continue the drug through out the pregnancy and after it.
She should consult a endocrinologist for her dose regulations because due to increased demand there is change in dose intake very frequently.
She should take eltroxin empty stomach in the morning and she can take breakfast 1 hour after it( she can take medication early in the morning).
Hope it is useful, feel free to ask more questions.
Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN