Is it safe to take Clindamycin while pregnant?
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Taking Clindamycin by mouth has not shown any harm in animal studies, and there have been no reports of congenital defects due to Clindamycin, though no studies have been done with pregnant woman, so Clindamycin has a pregnancy risk category of B, which is generally considered safe.
However, clindamycin vaginal cream has been associated with increased risk of preterm birth, and so the vaginal cream should not be used in pregnant woman.
I hope that helps. If you want to tell me what you are being prescribed Clindamycin for, I might be able to comment further on whether there would be better options or not. Thanks for your question and please take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- I currently take cape aloe (aloe Ferox) everyday for constipation
- My husband just received a lab report. His SGOT is
- Chest x Ray was recorded as normal..for a work visa
- My son is 19 and is constantly cold . His
- I had constipation for the last week. It is gone
- Tip of penis stings when contacted by clothing, slight redness
- I have had two knee replacements - the first was
- hai I have a pain in my left arm since
- I have itchy scalp bumps. The doctors call it uticaria.
- what do when back is paining