Is it safe to take Clindamycin while pregnant?

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2019 in Pregnancy
Question: Is it safe to take Clindamycin while pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Taking Clindamycin by mouth has not shown any harm in animal studies, and there have been no reports of congenital defects due to Clindamycin, though no studies have been done with pregnant woman, so Clindamycin has a pregnancy risk category of B, which is generally considered safe.

However, clindamycin vaginal cream has been associated with increased risk of preterm birth, and so the vaginal cream should not be used in pregnant woman.

I hope that helps. If you want to tell me what you are being prescribed Clindamycin for, I might be able to comment further on whether there would be better options or not. Thanks for your question and please take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana