Is it safe to take Adderall prior to a surgery?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I took 30mg of adderall 9pm and I have surgery tomorrow morning at 7:45 will I be OK?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes that shouldn't cause any risk but tell this to your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic

Adderall is an amphetamine drug and the drug cause excitation. You are young and I guess are free of any cardiovascular disorder, so taking the drug would not cause any risk to anaesthesia. There are different guidelines regarding Adderall use prior to surgery. If patient is taking medicine on regular basis then no need to stop the drug and of use is irregular then the medicine should be stopped at least 1-2 weeks before surgery.

In some recent research studies it was concluded that Adderall need not to be stopped before general anaesthesia. But disclose to your doctor that you have taken the drug doses.

Thanks, Hope this helps you, if you have more doubts you can ask again
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist