question-icon

Is it safe to switch from Protonix to Famotidine?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016
Question: hi
is it safe for me to switch from protonix to famotidine (pepcid)
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga (45 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

It would be reasonable for you to transition to the famotidine from the protonix. Hopefully it will control symptoms of esophageal reflux just as well. I do not for see any major problems and you making this type of transition.

I would recommend that you give this 4 to 6 weeks to make a full assessment of whether the transition is equivalent to your prior treatment with pantoprazole.

Of course before making any change in management of your medications, we recommend that you touch base with your primary care physician for further discussion.

thank you again for sending the question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist