Is it safe to stop medication for diabetes?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Diabetes
Question: I wanted to let you know the history before even asking any further question.
I was diagnosed Diabetic six months before, kept under medication with high doses in the first few weeks and used Drug - Azulix MF 2 MG for almost 3 to 4 Months and it was reduced to 1 MG. Recently, I have stopped taking medicine for a week and went for FBS & PPBS. Sugar levels are 122 and 152 without any medicine. I constantly working out and having regular diet. I am wondering to know if I can stop using this medicine. please advise.
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I may not suggest to stop medication.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

I really appreciate your efforts towards diabetes control.
But not in favor to stop medications.

Diabetes is a life long disease (except in special circumstances).
It has 2 elements
1) Insulin resistance : Increased need of insulin by body.
2) Pancreatic dysfunction: Failure of pancreas to release extra insulin as per body's requirement.

With regular exercise, diabetic diet & medications one can control the blood sugar control.

But as age & duration of diabetes advances Pancreatic dysfunction increases and dose and/or number of medicines increases.

So underlying pathogenesis remains more or less persistent only one can able to reduce its intensity with exercise, diet & medication.

Also I may suggest to do HbA1c which is a more reliable marker of blood sugar control rather than fasting & post-prandial.

Depending upon HbA1c I may reduce the dose or number of medicines.

Hope this helps you,

Dr. Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D