Is it safe to stop Waklert and Nexito abruptly?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 29 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi to all. I had been advised by my psychiatrist to take waklert in morning n nexito 5 in night. Since I was feeling sleepy during day time inspite of taking waklert tablet I stopped it but did continued taking nexito 5 which was given to me for mild depression of short period of time. I used to have beers n after dinner used to take nexito 5 but no drinks daily though but weekly 4 days. Next day memory loss. So somehow I stopped taking nexito 5 for last 3 days n no beers at all. But I can't talk properly n wen I walk I feel like shocks symptoms. Shall I continue or stop the tablets. As I feel these all is happening due to financial temporary issues. N I am 34 years male n planning to get married in a year. Do advice. Thanx to u all in advance. N I used to be good in bed for last couple of months I don't even feel urge to have sex inspite of many pretty girlfriends with me.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms are due to depression and the medicines will help in treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. The tablet Waklert is Modafinil and Nexito is Escitalopram. Both drugs are commonly used in depression especially in patients with symptoms of tiredness and drowsiness in day time. The symptoms like shocks symptoms, inability to talk properly etc after stopping the tablet are probably occurring due to withdrawal from Escitalopram. You were taking the tablets regularly and abrupt stoppage of drug has precipitated the withdrawal which along with anxiety is causing the symptoms you are having.

So in my opinion if you have prescription of the drug then you should continue to take the drug as per your prescription.

Yes financial issues and other stressors etc can aggravate the depressive symptoms and anxiety symptoms so taking the tablet would help to control these symptoms and you will feel better.

The lack of sexual urge is also a symptom of depression and with proper drug therapy your symptoms will improve. So start the drug again and wait for at least some time to see proper effects of the drugs. Consult your doctor again if your symptoms persist.

Thanks, I hope this helps you. Please dont hesitate to ask again for more doubts.