Is it safe to still take Asthalin inhaler for bronchitis while I am breastfeeding?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 4 Oct 2019 in Child Health
Question: My son is 2m 1 wk old . I have bronchitis since several years which aggravates in the month of April.
I used to take Asthalin inhaler as and when required.
Is it safe to still take it while I am breastfeeding. My son is exclusively breastfed and I am having breathlessness in doing daily basic chores.

Another question is that can I take my 2 months son to a room where Split AC is switched on at 25-27'C. Generally people recommend me to not take small kid to a room where AC is switched on. Please recommend.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:

Let me assure you that any drug taken in the form of inhaler reaches the lungs exclusively and therefore does not land up significantly in the blood stream. Therefore there is little or no secretion in the breast milk. Even if it secreted, it is not toxic to the child. In such a case you need not worry and can continue taking it when needed.

In case of children, a slightly warmer temperature brings the zone of comfort. A temperature like 27° or 28°C should be fine for the child. Just ensure that the child does not go through frequent fluctuations in temperature (in and out of the AC room rapidly).

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad