• question-icon

Is it safe to smoke Marijuana while suffering from fatty liver?

Posted on Fri, 29 May 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I was recently diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver through an ultrasound as blood work was normal. I stopped drinking alcohol but I was wondering if it would be harmful to smoke Marijuana?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Marijuana is known to cause fatty liver.

Detailed Answer:

I assume you know that fatty liver is a condition of excessive fat deposition in liver, gradually hampering blood vessels in liver, damaging liver function & leading to more hazardous complications. The main causes of the conditions being, alcoholism/ dibetes/ over weight/ hepatitis. Even Marijuana is known to cause fatty liver by facilitating fat deposition in liver while it's assimilation in body.

So, once fatty liver is found, it's desired to discard/ treat all the causative factors so as to arrest/ relieve all the harm done. Therefore I will not suggest you to use Marijuana. It's good that you have stopped alcohol. similarly you should stop having Marijuana too.

I feel you are also aware of curtailing other factors which are culprits for fatty liver. For, there is no specific treatment for fatty liver apart from treatment of cause.
So just to summarize,
- Stop alcohol /Marijuana
- treat diabetes well with a Dibetologist's advise,
- Reduce body weight by having diet with a dietitian's advise/ regular exercises/ walking for 45 minutes./ adequate sound sleep/ positive thinking. In short have healthy / fatty liver controlling life style.
- be in regular touch with your gastroenterologist.

I hope the answer was informative & helpful to you. any follow up query is welcome.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 16 hours later
Thank you so much for your response. I hate to split hairs but this is all very new to me. When I smoke Marijuana I smoke 1-2 hits 2-3 times a week. That's all. Is it dangerous in even that small of an amount?
Last follow up question... I set up an appt. With a gastroenterlogist but the soonest I can get in its 5 weeks from now so I figured I'd ask the following: I'm not diabetic but my glucose was 103, I'm 5ft. 2.5 inches tall and weigh 142lbs, and work out 5 days a week, I'm working on dropping weight and eating healthier, can I have a little raw sugar in my coffee in the morning, and one 1/2sweet, white chocolate mocha on the weekends, aa well as a couple.of nonalcoholic beers weekly (.5% alcohol). Thanks again for your guidance.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
restrict sugar/ stop alcohol & marijuana till Gastroenterolost's advise.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX.
Thanks for your follow up queries.
It indicates your curiosity as well as tendency to enjoy while finding way out from a problem! I feel there is nothing wrong in getting every minute doubt/ possibility cleared specially on health front.
I must congratulate you for being very much health conscious/ regular in healthy habits.It is human to have some fun/change in life, & try to avoid monotonousness( specially in young age that you are in.). But when it starts interfering with health ...NO.
I have read both of your queries carefully. You don't seem to have any obvious cause for your liver getting infiltrated with fat., except probably for Marijuana smoking & alcohol you are using.( alternatively it can be some metabolic problem-- which will be seen / taken care of by the Gastroenterologist)
Since you have an appointment with a Gastroenterologist in near future..He will re scrutinize the case, and come to final diagnosis & advise.Till then
it's wise to avoid all possible pit falls in your routine & keep on reducing the problem at personal level. I would suggest-
- Drop Marijuana & alcohol totally ( make it a gradual but definite effort )
-I don't know which blood sugar report you are referring to--
- if it's post meal, it is in normal limits.
- But if it is fasting, it is on borderline of normality.In case you are not taking sugar other than morning coffee, I feel you can take half a spoon in coffee.But stop taking alcohol till the Gastroenterologist permits it.So also about your white chocolate , I would suggest to withheld it till the Gastroenterologist allows it.Am I being very rude ? I am sorry,but I wish to help you getting rid of the problem by self control, reach to the root of problem & start with specific treatment with specialist's advise ( you have already planned for)
I hope the answer was helpful to you. Any more information you need, I will be happy to help. Wish you quick recovery & healthy life.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 14 minutes later
Thank you so much! You were not at all rude. I will continue to strive for self discipline and good health. Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
congrats for the positive attitude. Keep it up!

Detailed Answer:
HI XXXX,
Thanks for the response.
I appreciate your readiness to accept & adopt things which seem to be difficult in your age group. Congrats for the positive attitude! It will definitely pay you back in terms of good health!
Thanks once more for using HCM for satisfying your health queries.I am available on forum, & would be happy to help you in future.
wishing you all the best..
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale